Samhain is a traditional time to work with The Ancestors, since the veil is thinnest around this time. But I continue to work with them throughout November, and sometimes even through the Winter, as it’s just a quiet, introverted time. It’s great for going within and finding the strengths (and problems) that have been handed to us through generations. Also, when we practice our holiday traditions that have been handed to us by our families, we honor the family that came before. It’s a great time to try to connect with them through tarot!
I can’t take full credit for the first spread, as it’s an amalgamation of spreads I found online. I just kind of mashed them together and made something that works for me. The second one was mine, however. I have one spread for working with The Ancestors as a whole, and one for working with a specific Ancestor.
I use the same deck that I use to speak with the dead, as it traverses the veil easily. That’s The Revelations Tarot by Zach Wong. I’ve told the story about this deck before, so just suffice it to say that I use it when someone may be passing beyond the veil, or to speak with someone who already has. Also, it’s just BEAUTIFUL, and the reversals are really fantastic. I love this deck.
Let’s look at the spreads!
To Speak with The Ancestors
- What Ancestors are with me presently?
- What legacy has been handed down to me?
- How can I continue this legacy?
- What gifts or skills have I inherited?
- How can I best honor The Ancestors?
- What messages do The Ancestors have for me?
To Speak With an Individual Ancestor
- What do you want me to know about your life?
- What gifts did I inherit from you?
- What struggles did I inherit from you?
- What would you like to tell me about my life today?
- How can I connect with your wisdom?
Please try these spreads and let me know how they go for you! Also, let me know if you have other ways of speaking with the ancestors that you’d like to share. Blessed be! <3