I have to be honest. I really don’t follow recipes. Likewise, I never, ever use spells from books. I like to read them, sure. They give me inspiration for spells I would like to create, but I never use spells verbatim from spell books. I just feel like there’s so much more magick in being creative with your spells and building them from your heart and your mind.
That being said, there are some things that you should consider when you’re writing a spell.
- What is the theme of the spell. What are you spellworking for?
- Will anyone be joining you, or is this a solitary venture?
- What is the best timing of the spell, considering the moon phase and day of the week? How long do you expect the spell to take to manifest?
- What materials do you need?
- Altar cloths or other surfaces?
- Paper and pen?
- Musical instruments or other music?
- Special attire?
- Where will you perform the spell? Do you need someone to know where you are for safety purposes?
- Will you ground and center and cast a circle, or will it be more free-form?
- What are the steps?
- Will you be writing any sort of words to the spell, or will you be speaking from the heart? Will there be hand motions or other body language that’s part of the working?
- What will you do with the spell materials after the spell is over?
By all means, write all these details down in your Book of Shadows or other magickal journal, and be sure to leave space to record your results afterwards.
Happy spelling and blessed be! <3