2012 has been a rough year. I have been broken and rebuilt in ways that have stunned me, and I feel like I need to record it all here. Maybe that will make it all seem less surreal, less like a movie of someone else’s life.
January: Lost my job. I trained throughout November and part of December to do tech support from home, but because of various factors, it was too stressful. So stressful, in fact, that I got very, very sick. So sick, in fact, that I couldn’t talk on the phone, and was therefore useless for this particular job. Also, J moved here to be with us in a romantic triad.
February: Found my current job and realized how difficult it is on my body. It’s very low pay, very low skill, and very physical. It’s certainly not where I thought I would work at this age, but it’s getting me by. Also, my aunt (stepmom’s sister) passed away. I went to the funeral and saw my stepmom for the first time in over a year. She’s pretty much made it clear that she’s not interested in me or my life, (she thinks I need saving *eyeroll*) so it was a bit strained.
April: We began to realize that things weren’t working out with J, despite the fact that we all care a lot for each other.
May: In early May, Bear’s aunt (whom he was very close to) passed away. We went to Md for the funeral, and that killed us a bit financially. Also, when we returned, we realized that it was time to part ways with J. Bear and I had been trying so hard to make things work that we had lost touch with each other. Ironically, we reconnected during our time in Md. We had ‘the talk’, and J admitted to just not feeling it with us. It was devastating at the time, but ultimately the best thing for all of us.
Later May: Bear just started feeling poorly. REALLY poorly. He just wasn’t himself. He was pale, tired, splotchy, and the final straw was when he couldn’t hold a conversation without falling asleep in the middle. He had also been having some serious sleep apnea, which he’d never really shown any signs of before. It was terrifying. So I dragged him to the hospital. He was having a heart attack. A very serious, very severe heart attack. It just didn’t look like what you would think of as a typical heart attack because he’s so young.
It was the single most horrible thing that’s ever happened to me. I had to face the possibility that he wouldn’t be with me, and just typing that makes me want to cry. He had 4 blockages in the 3 main arteries into the heart. There were 3 100% blockages and 1 95% blockage. The reality is that he’s extremely lucky to be alive right now, 4 stents later.
June: We began to radically change how we eat. It was great, and I wish we had the $$ to eat as healthy as we were. It’s our goal to get back to that. We also learned to deal with the reality of Bear’s diabetes, high blood pressure, and all the piles of pills he would need to take from now on. Things were still difficult with J, as I was a bit confused about what exactly had gone wrong. I doubted myself a lot.
August: Worries about losing our house. It’s a long story, and I think that we’ve pretty much gotten through it, but it caused SO many sleepless nights.
September: Our Dragon*Con wedding and a visit from Bear’s dad and uncle. This was all GOOD stress, but stress nonetheless. Continued worries about losing the house and worries about Bear losing his job.
October: My ex had a massive stroke and passed away a few days before Samhain. It was devastating. We grew up together. We were together for 7 years, engaged for 5, and though I didn’t get a chance to talk to him much, I always knew that we could pick up the conversation right where we left off at any time. He knew me from a time before I knew myself, and being with him helped shape me into who I am now. I still can’t believe he’s gone. 🙁
Second week of October, I came down with what seemed to be a small cold, and which I’m still suffering from now. Twice now it’s moved into pneumonia territory, and I think that’s where I’m at right now. Lots of middle-of-the-night coughing fits resulting in sleeping upright on the couch. Lots of worrying about how to deal with it with no insurance. 🙁
November: We finally met someone that we wanted to date, but she turned out to be crazy. It was very disappointing, but obviously we just weren’t suited for each other. Also, a catastrophic fight with my mother which confirmed that she is someone that I can’t rely on and that any little thing I say to her will be used against me in the future. She can’t support me as an adult, and doesn’t even understand what my life is about. She always sees the very worst in me. I can’t talk to my sister, either, because anything I say to her will immediately get back to my mother. Continued sickness, continued house worries, still fighting fleas.
Also, my uncle passed. He was the last person left on that side of the family. Now there are assorted cousins I really don’t have anything to do with, but my Dad and his family are all gone now.
December: The month of working. And being sick. And money worries. And failing at Xmas. And exhaustion. I’m beginning to believe that Xmas is designed to make me feel completely inadequate in every way.
There were good things that happened this year as well.
- I appreciate my husband even more than I ever thought possible. He’s the solid, good thing in my life, and I get to keep him. I also got to marry him. I’m a lucky bitch.
- We found out who our friends are. Some people who we thought were our best friends, couldn’t be bothered to show up for Bear when he was in the hospital. Some friends who we thought were good friends were actually GREAT friends. They showed up for him. We learned the difference. One friend even got ordained so that she could marry us.
- We found the most amazing friend in J. He was there for us in a way that means he’ll be in our lives and hearts forever. He could have cut and run at any time, but he helped me through the worst time in our lives.
- We learned a lot about health and lost about 25 lbs each. We had to start eating cheap, and put a LITTLE of that back on, but we’re ready to get healthier and feel better in 2013.
- Bear began his voice acting career in earnest. He did a radio play in December, and he’s been auditioning for audio books and radio plays online.
- Things seem good with someone that we’ve recently started seeing. She’s sexy, sweet, honest, and seems interested in building something lasting with us. I’m feeling VERY positive about having a lot of fun and new experiences with her.
- I found my spirituality again. It’s kind of one of those things that ebbs and flows, but it’s flowed back in a big way. In addition, Bear and I have started talking seriously about starting an incense business.
Sadly, I didn’t get the writing done that I wanted to do. I honestly just couldn’t drum up the energy for it. I was spending so much time in survival mode, that everything else took a back seat. I also just settled into my job. I need to find something else, but again, survival mode.
As much as I went through in 2012, I really do have higher hopes for 2013. I have goals, and I’ll be writing them in a separate post.